5779 Rosh Hashanah / Feast of Trumpets / Yom Teruah
I have divided this Rosh Hashanah teaching into 4 Segments for ease of use.
Part 1 Prophecy
Part 2 Gospel of the Stars
Part 3 The Magi & The Birthday
Part 4 Traditions & End Times
Part 4 Traditions & End Times
10:00 Break 13
Yom Teruah Traditions
The Day of Shouting/Blasting (100 Blasts)
100 blasts of the shofar are blown over the course of Rosh Hashanah morning services
Rosh Hashanah begins The 10 Days of Awe (Awesome Days)
They end on Yom Kippur with fasting and prayer all day
It’s the only holiday that fasting is explicitly commanded by the Lord –
“You shall afflict your souls” (afflict doesn’t mean to punish yourself but to humble yourself)
The Jews wear white (or burial clothes) – to live all day as if they were dead (fasting)
It’s humbling yourself before God and reminder that you are mortal
These days are for repentance – so they determine your destiny
Every time you repent – you change your destiny
Leviticus 10:11 “distinguish between holy and unholy, and between unclean and clean”
As a Christian, you might say, these days help set the course for your year
The choices you make and directions you choose
These 10 days are like a preview of the year ahead or a snap shot of trends
What you conquer now – impacts your entire year ahead – decision count more now
The Hebrew root of the word shofar means to beautify…when we turn to God we are made beautiful
The Feast of Trumpets marks the end of the summer harvest. The Day of Atonement is near when you stand before God.
It’s prophetic – As the Church, we are in the midst of the great harvest just before the Day of the Lord. The Feast of Trumpets is God’s wakeup call: We don’t have forever!
The Voice of God – Since God speaks in diverse ways for different situations, the shofar has several distinct blasts.
- T’ki’yah – In ancient Israel, one long sustained blast was a common reassuring sound that meant the watchmen guarding the city were on duty and all was well. He is constantly drawing us near so that we might receive His strength and comfort.
- She’va’rim – Three successive blasts signaled some significant event – usually it meant good tidings. Likewise, He rejoices over us with singing and dancing.
- T’ru’ah – Nine rapid bursts, was the sound of alarm. It meant they were under attack. You can feel your skin crawl during temptation.
Play the three blasts
Genesis 3:8 And they heard the voice of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day:
The word for “voice” is the sound of a trumpet. That same word is used throughout the Bible for the blast of a trumpet (Mt Sinia). The Hebrew word also means calling out, shouting or even singing.
In the cool is the Hebrew word Ruwach – the word for wind and for the Holy Spirit.
So you could say the voice of God was being carried on the wind of His Holy Spirit.
Isaiah 58:1 “Cry aloud, spare not; Lift up your voice like a trumpet; Tell My people their transgression, And the house of Jacob their sins.
Foods – Eat apples dipped in honey or Eat fruit to be fruitful
Eat pomegranates – they have 613 seeds – there are 613 commandments in the bible
(tash-lick) means casting off
Empty pockets in stream, toss pebbles and bread in stream. Leave your past year behind.
Make resolutions around repentance and prepare for changes and the dynamics of the coming year
A Tashlich ceremony:
- Let us cast away the sin of deception, so that we will mislead no one in word or deed, nor pretend to be what we are not.
- Let us cast away the sin of vain ambition, which prompts us to strive for goals which bring neither true fulfillment nor genuine contentment.
- Let us cast away the sin of stubbornness, so that we will neither persists in foolish habits nor fail to acknowledge our will to change.
- Let us cast away the sin of envy, so that we will neither be consumed by desire for what we lack nor grow unmindful of the blessings which are already ours.
- Let us cast away the sin of selfishness, which keeps us from enriching our lives through wider concerns and great sharing and from reaching out in love to other human beings.
- Let us cast away the sin of indifference, so that we may be sensitive to the sufferings of others and responsive to the needs of people everywhere.
- Let us cast away the sin of pride and arrogance, so that we can worship God and serve God’s purpose in humility and truth.
10:15 Break 14
It’s a Warning
Rosh Hashanah or Yom Teruah – is the feast where trumpets are blown.
The Trumpets are warning about the beginning of the end.
|Yom Teruah / Days of Awe||Day of Atonement||Feast of Tabernacles|
|7 year Great Tribulation||Judgement Day||Millennium / Eternity|
10 days of Awe – 10 Means Complete
The 7 year Great Tribulation is Complete Judgment
Rev 17 “The Ten Horns which you saw are ten kings who have received no kingdom as yet, but they receive authority for one hour as kings with the beast.
The final Day of Awe is called the Day of Atonement/The Day of the Lord
4 days later begins the 8 days Feast of Tabernacles – This will be the Millennium and then Eternity
Sometime before the Feast of Tabernacles comes the Resurrection/Rapture
Rosh Hashanah marks a New Year, New season
- Feast of Unleavened Bread/Passover occurs on a Full Moon
- Feast of Tabernacles occurs on a Full Moon
Rosh Hashanah is the Only Feast that occurs in the dark of a New Moon
So there is a sense of foreboding just because of the darkness
Jesus Judges the Earth – It’s Horrific
- 4 horses of war, murder, famine, and death
- Earthquakes and the heavens quake with stars, sun and moon going dark
- And the kings of the earth, the great men, the rich men, the commanders, the mighty men, every slave and every free man, hid themselves in the caves and in the rocks of the mountains, and said to the mountains and rocks, “Fall on us and hide us from the face of Him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb! For the great day of His wrath has come, and who is able to stand?”
- Is the Rapture the first thing that happens and Christians miss the Tribulation?
Who is doing the judgment at this point – The Lamb – not The Lion of Judah.
The church who the Lamb redeemed is still here.
- The Saints, in much the same way Moses was sent to Egypt to free the slaves, we will be crying out and release the End Time Revival – That’s my take – for what’s it’s worth
- Rev 17 “The Ten Horns which you saw are ten kings who have received no kingdom as yet, but they receive authority for one hour as kings with the beast. These are of one mind, and they will give their power and authority to the beast. These will make war with the Lamb, and the Lamb will overcome them, for He is Lord of lords and King of kings; and those who are with Him are called, chosen, and faithful.”
- But it’s just getting started; Then come trumpets (plagues of destruction); Bowls of judgment
- Revelation 14
So the angel thrust his sickle into the earth and gathered the vine of the earth, and threw itinto the great winepress of the wrath of God. And the winepress was trampled outside the city, and blood came out of the winepress, up to the horses’ bridles, for 184 miles.
- Revelation 19
Now I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse. And He who sat on him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness He judges and makes war. He was clothed with a robe dipped in blood, and His name is called The Word of God. And the armies in heaven, [THAT’S THE CHURCH] clothed in fine linen, white and clean, followed Him on white horses.
Now out of His mouth goes a sharp sword, that with it He should strike the nations. And He Himself will rule them with a rod of iron. He Himself treads the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.
- Then the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who worked signs in his presence, by which he deceived those who received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image. These two were cast alive into the lake of fire burning with brimstone. And the rest were killed with the sword which proceeded from the mouth of Him who sat on the horse. And all the birds were filled with their flesh.
- Then Come The Millennium, Judgement, And The New Heavens and Earth.
10:30 Break 15
End Times Jewish vs Christian Traditions
All of the End Times events were written about by Old Testament prophets so
The Jews have traditions or beliefs about how it plays out just like Christians do.
The Feast of Trumpets/Yom Teruah is seen as A Day of Judgment:
It’s when God evaluates our deeds to determine whether He will write our name in the Book of Life for the coming year.
According to Jewish Tradition, Three Books Are Opened Before God in Heaven.
- One Book Is for The Absolutely Wicked
- A Second Book Is for The Perfectly Righteous
- The Third Book Is for Those Who Aren’t Perfectly Evil or Perfectly Good
They believe people then have the Ten Days of Awe to do good deeds to merit being placed in The Book of Life for the coming year.
Compare that with the Book of Revelation
The Millennium is kicked off then Satan is bound,
The Martyrs are raised in the First Resurrection to rule with Jesus,
Everyone else Waits for the Second Resurrection.
- In both scenarios The Wicked are destroyed by God’s judgment
- And The Perfectly Righteous (the Martyrs in Revelation) receive special reward
- Those Who Aren’t Perfectly Evil or Perfectly Good
- The Jews believe they have 10 days to repent
- Prophetic Scriptures clearly say non-martyrs will be on the earth during the Millennium (those who have not taken the mark of the Beast)
Their motivation may not be to choose Jesus, but they still refused
Most of these will likely be destroyed in the Last Battle.
- The average righteous (non-martyrs) are sleeping (Likely in Paradise / but not on the Earth) during the millennium.
We are invited to celebrate The Feast of Trumpets to make sure we are ready
There Are Two Words for Feast in Scripture
- chag (haug) which means to sacrifice and eat a meal
- Moed which means an Appointment.
Lev 23:4 These are the feasts (Appointments) of the Lord, holy convocations (Dress Rehearsals) which you shall proclaim at their appointed times (Appointments).
The Feast of Trumpets is also known as Yom Teruah which literally means the “Day of Blowing or the sounding of the shofar”.
This is the Day when the shofar is blown during the service 100 times!
They are blown in a set pattern of 3 different sounds, blown 3 times each for a total of 9 blasts. This series of patterns is repeated 11 times for a total of 99 blasts.
The 100th blast is set apart and this is the blast that is known as the “Last Trump”!
Lev 23:24 Speak to the children of Israel, saying: ‘In the seventh month, on the first day of the month, you shall have a sabbath-rest, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, a holy convocation. (Dress Rehearsal)
The Hebrew word for “blowing of trumpets” is “Teruah” a battle-cry; especially a clangor of trumpets, as an alarm.
1 Thess 4:16,17 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. (Referring to Psalm 47)
Psalm 47:5 “God is gone up with a shout, the LORD with the sound of a trumpet. “
The Hebrew word for shout here is “Teruah”! And the word trumpet is “Shofar”.
This is not a manmade trumpet or it’s sound.
Ps 89:15 Blessed is the people that know the joyful sound.
Here the Hebrew word for “sound” is also “Teruah” which is why we want to hear and be able to know and discern the sound of the Shofar on Yom Teruah!
A Thief In The Night
1 Thessalonians 5 – The day of the Lord so comes as a thief in the night.
For when they say, “Peace and safety!” then sudden destruction comes upon them, as labor pains upon a pregnant woman. And they shall not escape.
But you, brethren, are not in darkness, so that this Day should overtake you as a thief. You are all sons of light and sons of the day.
Who is getting stolen?
- The alive church on fire for Him.
- To those who are serving, loving and wise.
- The Bride of Christ
Who is the Thief leaving behind for judgement?
- The Dead church: Revelation 3:1-3
- The Lukewarm church: Revelation 3:14-17 / Revelation 16:15
- The Evil servant: Matthew 24:48-50
- The Foolish virgins: Matthew 25:11-13
- Those living in darkness: 1 Thessalonians 5
Rosh Hashanah begins what is known as the “10 Days of Awe” until Yom Kippur (the Day of Judgment).
We know God will judge every man, woman, and child for every word, thought, and deed they have had. No one will miss their divine appointment.
A “New” Year Means Change
After Napoleon abdicated the throne of France, it was said of the Bourbon monarchy, they “had learned nothing and forgotten nothing” because of their inability to change. Others ended up creating a new reality for the country.
It’s not always easy for us to change – “How to change” is built into this feast
Have mercy upon me, O God, according to Your lovingkindness;
according to the multitude of Your tender mercies, blot out my transgressions.
Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.
For I acknowledge my transgressions, and my sin is always before me.
Against You, You only, have I sinned, and done this evil in Your sight—
That You may be found just when You speak, and blameless when You judge…
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.
Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and uphold me by Your generous Spirit.
Then I will teach transgressors Your ways, and sinners shall be converted to You.
Darkness & Oil
“Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the Lord rises upon you. See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the Lord rises upon you and his glory appears over you.” Isaiah 60:1-2
One day when the trumpet sounds, the darkness will descend, and it will be our time to shine.
Why the yearly trumpet blast – so we will continue to ask ourselves:
“Are we still virgins – does He alone have our heart – do we have sufficient oil?”
Matthew 25 warns us: “Then the kingdom of heaven shall be likened to ten virgins who took their lamps and went out to meet the bridegroom. Now five of them were wise, and five were foolish. Those who were foolish took their lamps and took no oil with them, but the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.”
But while the bridegroom was delayed, they all slumbered and slept. And at midnight a cry was heard: ‘Behold, the bridegroom is coming; go out to meet him!’ [repent]
Then all those virgins arose and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’
But the wise answered, saying, ‘No, lest there should not be enough for us and you; but go rather to those who sell, and buy for yourselves.’
And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the wedding; and the door was shut. Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, Lord, open to us!’ But he answered and said, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you.’ Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming.
Oil causes the lamps to light up; It’s the presence of the Holy Spirit illuminating the Word of God.
Is it guiding our paths – our decisions and dreams? What is the extra oil about?
I believe it represents humility; they saw their condition rightly.
They knew they would run down and burn out. The oil in our lamps lights up the lamp for all to see – it’s our witness.
The oil reserved in the jar is not for sharing – it’s for us. It’s not selfish – it’s humility.
The older I get the more burned out I get – the harder my heart gets – and the stiffer my neck gets – this oil is for me.
Just because you see me shining my light doesn’t mean I’m ok. It’s a wise man or woman who sees themselves rightly.
When the world gets dark and people become cruel, we don’t want to get offended – we need to have extra oil.
Are our lives overloaded, causing us to neglect our intimacy with God? Are we disregarding our oil reserves?
All ten lights required more oil – that’s a prophetic warning from Jesus, Just like He warned Peter
right before he betrayed Him.
We must prepare for our failure; No one can spend time with the Holy Spirit for us; no one else can pray in our tongue;